Friday 15 April 2011

EVALUATION QUESTION 3: WHAT KIND OF MEDIA INSTITUTION WOULD DISTRIBUTE YOUR MEDIA PRODUCT AND WHY





In line with my case study on a publishing company I believe a magazine publisher such as Bauer media would look to distribute my music magazine.
Firstly, Bauer Media currently only publish ‘Q’, ‘Mojo’ and’ KERRANG’, magazines that all appeal to the large rock audience.   

    However, publishing my music magazine would benefit Bauer media financially, as it will help them to expand to a new and just as profitable market in the genre of Hip-Hop, and as there will be no competition from another Hip-Hop magazine within their organisation, they will be able to give my magazine more attention when distributing it which in turn will maximise profits and making my magazine a profitable investment on their behalf.
Secondly, With Hip-Hop being such a large and popular market, publishing my magazine would also be an opportunity for Bauer media to receive extra income from new advertisers within the Hip-Hop industry looking to promote products such as Sean John clothing and fragrances. 



Thirdly, Bauer media have offices in both America and the UK, two wealthy countries. Despite these countries both having interests in Rock, they both also appreciate Hip-Hop. So should Bauer media start to distribute my magazine they will be able to expand in these two well-off countries by distributing two of the most popular genres- Rock and Hip-Hop.
Through my audience research, I found out that many people prefer to subscribe to magazines rather than travel to the shops and buy it off the shelves. In addition we live in an age where people prefer to do things online. Therefore, I would see it key to encourage subscription to my magazine, as it will be a more convenient way of purchasing my magazine by eliminating the hassle of travelling to a store to buy the magazine off the shelves.
As well as making my music magazine available for subscription, I would also distribute it to well known music shops like HMV and well known magazine retailers such as WHSmith.





I would distribute my magazine to shops like HMV as it is an urban and technical store, quite like my target market, and so should be effective in attracting these types of people. I would also distribute my magazine to WHSmith as it is a store dedicated to selling the best reading material and so will promote a higher standard of my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment